My Own Little Man-Diary: The Amazing Presidential Race

Saturday, February 19

The Amazing Presidential Race

The week was pretty interesting. On monday, first on the agenda was to file my certificate of candidacy for my bid to run for president. And people might wonder why I'm running for president for my entire school, some really asked. The truth for the decision was because I was asked to, and being the person that I am, I did. So here we are.

The week just got started and not only was that happening for me, but it was a big time for the PT/OT department. This was because of the PT/OT week. And I, a PT student, was included in the said event. Well, not entirely, for the most part.

Monday was the big opening to the event. I wouldn't say that it was that big, but it was. Kind of. We were free to wear our casual uniforms. And with the conflict to our class schedules, we were free from class after lunch. We then proceeded to go to the EMVM Hall (the name itself isn't important, all you have to know is that it's a hall) to attend the annual quiz bowl. And although we only took third place, we were given much joy when the teacher's presented with a dance number.

Monday was also Valentine's day. So naturally, people will be bringing flowers and/or chocolates to their love ones/crushes and whatnot. And this day proved to be a good one for my friend when he fulfilled his wish to sing to his crush. Way to go, buddy!

Other than those, we had to go to SouthWestern University(which my friend and I didn't do) and I baked a pie later that night. So, a pretty fun monday for me.

Nothing much had happened during Tuesday through Thursday other than building a campaign and marketing our faces. These were tiring to do, yet fun. Making a fool out of yourselves could only do so much.

Friday marked the most fun I had during the PT/OT week. We were to join in an Amazing Race. And we were to compete with two groups from the opposing school, Cebu Doctors' University. Considering the race was to take place in SWU, I'm guessing the contestants from there were forfeited.

The night before the race was the night before I actually knew of it. I got a sudden message from the guy in charge, Big Jan Carreon, urging me to join. And again, being who I am, I did. I also thought that it would give me a good boost in my race for president which in turn, really did not.

The teams were in 3s, two boys and a girl; two teams from each school. The first problem we encountered before the race had even began was how to get to SWU. All three members of the group were clueless on how to get there. And the simplest solution was to ride a cab, as we did.

We were the first team there. Somehow, it's an accomplishment we can boast about. If the rules stated that immediate forfeit was to be given to the other teams who did get there before 8, we could have won first place. But it wasn't, and we didn't.

Soon after we've arrived, the CDU teams got there too. And I stress TEAMS because we were the only team representing our school, short of one other. Soon after that, the race had begun. The first challenge was to put together the pieces of paper to form a word which was either BOTANICAL or, basing from when we stopped caring, BOTA---L. Honestly, we heard the other teams mentioning the place, but we decided to finish the thing on our own, just because. And that cost us third place in the race at the very start, third place out of three, which was good for us. We'd win either way.

When we got to the botanical garden, our appetite was tested. We had to eat three large chunks of pork liver, a piece of ampalaya(bitter melon or bitter gourd, in english), and a glass half full of raw eggs. And as we ate, we were on the verge of vomiting. The first two of the latter are quite delicious if you really like it, which all three of us didn't. This didn't make strides for our group, still stuck in third place.

After that, we were brought to the MAHAM building(as it was pronounced, the actual meaning I forgot.) We were tasked to do a human wheel barrow around a certain area, circling it for five times, making us look foolish to SWU students that were passing by. The strain of the activity still has my abdominal area still hurting.

Still in third place, the clue of the challenge was to go to the Aznar Coliseum which was a building outside of the school. It was a 5-10minute walk, or a 2-3 minute run. We walked, not seeming to mind that we were gonna finish last. Our stomachs were yet again tested. We were told to pick a paper which contained these three possible words: BUMBAY(onion), OKRA(okra), and SILI(chili). I got onion and my friend was quick to exchange mine with his, which was chili. I reluctantly accepted. I bit the tip, and quickly felt the spiciness. I stopped eating. It's important to note that at this point, I was the only one who had taken a bite out of the three of us. After a few moments, I decided to just swallow the chili whole, and I did. Still, I was the one who had eaten their pick. I decided to buy water and when I came back they had just finished theirs. (The girl hadn't, the other guy ate enough.) The ones who monitored us, didn't care anymore if we finish it or not.

We went on to the next area, the PT area of SWU. The school only offered PT, considering Velez  has both PT and OT while CDU had another course, RTP(respiratory therapy). We were to pick from two options: Deliver an ampao to a person hidden amongst others on the 2nd floor or make a square out of different sized papers, as in a tangram. We chose to do papers. Our girl got it, and once again we were given pieces of paper that would make out to a certain location in the school. The only sure word we could make out was, MEMORIAL. We didn't bother finishing it.

To our dismay, there is more than one memorial building, even more than two. We had gotten to the memorial library and MAHAM building, instead of listening to the instincts of our girl member. This called for us to go to the Aznar coliseum again which housed the memorial building we were looking for. On our way there, a friend of ours informed us that the task was on the oval. And so we went. One of our members had to put a sack over his head and hop the length of the oval. Other members could take over, but we didn't bother.

After that, we were to proceed to the 3rd floor Engineering building. It was a few meters to where we had been earlier in the MAHAM building. The building as we learned had recently suffered a fire. The roof and floor were charred. In this area, we were tasked to obtain nine letters that were buried deep in flour. The only catch was, we couldn't use our hands. This explains why the other teams that passed us were white. The nine letters formed the word THERAPIST. After that, one of the members had to whistle a song while eating polvoron. The other two members had to sing to it. The monitors decided not to go on with the song, seeing as that we were already the last group. I mean, what else could we do wrong?

The back and forth walking to the Aznar coliseum and SWU was probably the most tiring, other than the human wheel barrow. Determined to win third place, we walked towards the coliseum with our heads held high. And when we got there, we were greeted with cheers and our very last challenge. It was a very simple task, blow out the two candles with only your nose - simple but difficult. Our girl member and I blew hard on the candles to no results. Our other member told us to step aside, and he finished the challenge rather quickly.

It was official, third place goes to us, Velez Group A. The other group never showed up which was kind of a good thing. My team could have been placed fourth as it probably would've. We returned to our school, championing our accomplishment. With flour still on our faces, we stood tall walking inside our school.

And the day had not ended yet.

1 comment: