My Own Little Man-Diary: Pie Maker Cliffhanger

Monday, February 14

Pie Maker Cliffhanger

Pie making is hard. Baking, in general, is hard. So, when you go to those bakeshops and see those cakes and other pastries, that's the result of hours and hours of hard work and practice. I bring this up because I'm making one right now.

As we speak, my pie is in the oven. My pie is a mess. The crust alone will bring the quality down. But I won't be that upset. It is my first pie.

The thought of making pie occurred to me when I saw my uncle's recipe books. Both from renowned brands, Betty Crocker and Pillsburry. I got my start to baking from making cheesecake, which was not baked. I wanted to try making a baked cheesecake, but ultimately stuck with making the no-bake one.

From then on, I wanted to make desserts. For one thing, because they're good. Another, because I just love desserts. Making pies will just indulge my sweet teeth. (Stress on teeth, rather than just tooth.)

The pie that's currently in the oven is supposed to be an apple pie. I opted to do this, because it was kind of cheaper, compared to making cherries or pecan. But sooner or later, I might want to do a pecan pie which is the pie I really want to make. I just want to try making it first.

First problem I had was the shortening. I didn't know what the hell that was. Then a couple of youtube videos later, I used butter instead. Second thing was making the crust. The crust is probably the most vital thing there is to the pie, other than the filling, which was easy to do compared to the crust.

The crust had to have this kind of precision to make. The ingredients had to be just right, as does everything else in baking. This was a challenge for me, a first time baker. I don't think that pie was the right thing to start with. But nevertheless, I continued with it.

When I started writing this blog, I had just cleaned everything I had used to bake my first pie. And midway through writing, the timer went off and my pie was finished. I don't know yet how it tastes like. I am letting it cool a bit, until I finish writing this blog.

I hope it's as good as it smells. I'll keep you posted.

P.S. The pie is good, but not great. A few minor adjustments, and I'll be baking perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment