My Own Little Man-Diary: 18 Hours

Saturday, April 2

18 Hours

One day left till I leave and I woke up as I normally did, about 8 or 9 in the morning. Quick to follow was lunch. It was spent with the family and a guest. The routine was usually done on Sundays, but today was the exception. I was leaving afterall and I won't be around here until the early days of May.

My flight is scheduled on Sunday, Apr 3 at 1230pm. Only problem is, it's in Manila. So I have to get to Manila first. And my domestic departure towards Manila is at 6:55am. Early, I know. But considering my international flight, it's just right, I guess. There's quite a distance from the domestic airport to the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA), and that's an annoying thing for me. I mean, why have different airports? You're just wasting space.

Manila is a very congested area. Very much so, that traffic rules enforce that only certain cars are allowed to travel on given days. The taxis there are greedy, not like in my beloved hometown. For example, if the meter says Php 60.00 and you give the driver a P100.00 bill, don't expect any change back. That's how it is in Manila. And personally, I hate it.

As I was saying my flight to Manila is early. And considering my flight to NY is an estimated 18 hours, all in all. I decided not to sleep at all. And to help with that, I went out with my friends, Kevin and Randell. Two bottles later, I was tipsy. I know, two bottles aren't that much. But I haven't had a drink in a while. And I didn't want to push things, so I stopped at two. I was driving home afterall.

I told the guys that I would limit myself to 11 o'clock with an hour extension maximum, but ended up leaving at around one. I was less tipsy then, and less prone to accidents. I dropped the guys off at Nuvo, a club. I was a little jealous that I couldn't go, but I didn't want to get drunk. Then I drove straight home.

I got home, washed up a little, and finalized all my belongings; what to bring and what not to forget, all of that. Hopefully, I didn't forget anything.

This was not my first time going abroad alone. My first time, I was fourteen, a minor. I had a few perks for being younger, like getting to ride Business class. I had met a friend then, she was nice, also of Filipino descent. I wish this time around I could meet another friend to pass the time. The only thing I have to do that with is my phone which isn't even technically mine. My brother owns the phone, I just lent it, rather than letting me borrow his PSP or laptop. (Yes, at this point, I own neither of the two. We just switched phones.)

I hope I really do have someone to talk to during my stay in Hong Kong, my stopover. And I'm not the kind of person who walks up to someone and strike a conversation. But in this case, I might get desperate. Anyway, I have this phone with me. Let there be free Wi-Fi spots there. Please.

By this time tomorrow, I would be in a different timezone. I'll be in New York, the city that never sleeps. And it seems, I'm already getting started on not sleeping.

Four hours 'till take off.

No comments:

Post a Comment