My Own Little Man-Diary: Last Night Around the City that Never Sleeps

Friday, April 29

Last Night Around the City that Never Sleeps

It's my last few days here in New York, and that means I won't be back until a year or two. It's a pretty long time. So my cousins and I arranged a little get together for one last night out in the town. And my one cousin decided for us to go to Manhattan's East Village.

The East Village is pretty much known for it's awesome nightlife. It's a nice place to go out with friends, if you have the money and the time. And we ate at a place named Baoguette. It's a small Vietnamese restaurant that is best known for its sandwiches. And I had the Grilled Pork Sandwich, which was good paired up with it's sauce.

And eager for some cheesecake, we walked around and searched for a good place to have some dessert. And after an inspiring story about a friend working in that place. We ate at said place, which was simply named Spot. It's been named as Best Dessert by the Zagat survey, so we thought it'd be a good idea to eat there. The place was nice. It had a good vibe and atmosphere to the area. And what started off as bright lights, soon turned dim and was replaced by candlelights.

The Soft Cheesecake out of the glass
 My cousin and I had a Soft Cheesecake. And my other cousin had a cupcake.  The cheesecake was not at all as we had expected. We had anticipated that it would actually be a slice of cheesecake. But it was whipped cream cheese on one end, with passion fruit foam on top. And on the other end of the dessert were oranges, blueberries, and crushed nuts encased in a glass lying on its side, which is removed by the waiter if you want him to. He says that it was easier to eat without the glass - no shit. The cupcake was, well, a cupcake. 

The dessert was okay. I wouldn't say that I didn't enjoy it, but I would say that it was not what I had expected. The passion fruit foam was not my kind of taste though. But the oranges, blueberries, and crushed nuts paired with a spoonful of cream cheese was pretty good. It would've helped us if our cousin had told us earlier that her friend had actually left the place to find better opportunities elsewhere. 

My one cousin had to leave early to go to work. So my one cousin and I were alone to roam wherever. And we went to 14th St. We went to some stores and checked some things out. I was looking for a wallet and my cousin suggested some other store which was a small walk from where we were. And as we head to our location, I found a store I had been searching for, the Guitar Center. I'm sure my friend would be happy to know I finally got something for him, but would be disappointed to find out it's less in quantity. 

We got to our location, but could not find a good wallet. So, we left the store and decided to have some frozen yogurt at Pinkberry. They had a variety of flavors of frozen yogurt. And I had the mango flavored frozen yogurt, and it was good. I topped it off with yogurt chips and dark chocolate crisps. 

An hour or so later, we decided to leave Pinkberry. The store was about to close, or it certainly looked like it. And we walked across the street, got down to the subway station and we went on our separate ways. She was headed uptown, while I, downtown.

As I waited for the train to arrive, I put on my earphones. And switched on my iPod. Sooner or later, the train had got there. And as it slowly parked on the station, my gaze was met with a man wearing black on the opposite side of the train's doors. His stare was strong, angry even. He was very eager to get out off the train. Finally, the doors opened. And as he stepped off the train, he went out of his way to really shove me, real hard. 

I did not fall and I did not argue. My first instinct was to check my belongings and see if the bastard who pushed me was a thief, rather than just a douche. And I let out a sigh of relief, although a little pissed. And as I sat down and I contemplated why he would hold such a grudge to someone he doesn't know at all. At least, I wasn't stabbed or anything and he didn't steal any of my belongings. 

Subway train headed home.


Half an hour later, I was at home. Safe and sound from the outside. The guy sitting down on the chair looking pissed, is another story. But what can you do?

Two days left. New York, you let it be so hard to love you.

2 comments: