My Own Little Man-Diary: 2011 Resolutions, Substitutions

Sunday, January 2

2011 Resolutions, Substitutions

Yesterday, we welcomed the year 2011. This is the time of year that everyone make resolutions that're probably gonna be forgotten within the next 364 days or so, until we make another set of resolutions and lie to ourselves again. Highschoolers and gradeschoolers dread this time when they go back to school and write about how they had an awesome Christmas break in New York or in a home for old people (Albeit, not the whole time). And how they're looking forward to not writing their resolutions for their teachers to make fun of.

This year, I decided, like I did last year, to be more diet conscious, to be more healthy, whatever the hell that means. And along with that, to be more diligent, to be kinder(?), and to be more yadda, yadda... This year, I'm trying a diet that doesn't include rice to the dinner table, and only dinner. Rice is a staple for Filipino culture. Not eating rice for dinner is hard enough to do already.

Just before typing this, I had dinner which consisted of Pork(I don't have any idea what it's really called, so bare with me.) Eating pork alone just seems boring. But I ate it without rice and somehow I felt better about myself, not for long. My grandmother chose not to eat the unnamed entree she had prepared herself and opted to eat toasted sliced bread with the cream cheese, mixed with garlic and parsley, my sister and I had bought the day before(yesterday). Although I had promised not to eat rice, I ate two slices of the bread and topped it off with the cream cheese. Had I promised myself not to eat rice and bread, I'd have felt guiltier. But I didn't and I wasn't(that much). Although the thought still occurred to me that it wasn't in fact rice, so I was glad.

Making resolutions for the New Year is a not so bad tradition. It makes us help feel better the way we did than last year, hence making us a little more optimistic towards our future -- a little. We all know that all those resolutions you(I) say aren't gonna last the whole year. Well, unless you're really up for it. Which only makes me think what kind of person I am, already thinking that I'd fail with my partly already fail diet plan.
(Not all that fail yet. At least I have that going for me.)

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment