My Own Little Man-Diary: Midterm Blues

Saturday, January 22

Midterm Blues

January 22 marked the end of the second semester midterm examinations. It was a day of mixed emotions. This was the last day of the harder tests, but it was also the day a friend of mine celebrated his birthday.

I, being the lazy person I am, hardly studied. I, also the kind of optimist, hoped that it would be okay. By all accounts, it really wasn't. I, in fact, knew this. Nevertheless, I did not study. Oh, the redundancy.

Physical Therapy, which I am a student of, started off as a laid back course. But by the time we reached the 3rd year, we faced a number of challenges:

First, Gross Anatomy. I particularly did not hate these subjects, learning about all the muscles, bones, veins, arteries, and nerves. Memorization is the key to passing this subject. And unless I read myself incorrectly, I do have quite a good memory. People have said so, not to be too cocky. >:]

Second, Neuroanatomy. The scorn of memorizing where every tract pass, decussate, and/or terminate. The key to passing on this subject was note taking which I am, a note taker. This was not at all applicable to every subject though, but for this subject/teacher it was.

Lastly, everything else. Really, if you've passed Neuroana and Gross, you're good to go. I could not say for my friend, who despite passing Neuroana and Gross, failed everything else. This differs from the usual, passing everything else and failing the top two.

People are quite impressed of me. People, knowing what I am, did not see me as a 3rd year regular student or as I thought so. During tests, most of the time, I am the first to pass my paper. I do not review my answers. This stems from the theory that if I do review, with my answers already written on the answer sheet that is stricly, supposed to be void of erasures, I would just regret answering the wrong one in the first place. But people describe me as a smart person, and although I am lazy, most people were not at all shocked that I made it to the second semester, which makes me a little flattered.

Now, at the top of the 2nd semester, I dared promise myself to be better and not take my subjects for granted. Knowing myself, I did not live up to this. Because of sheer laziness, poor study habits, or just using my free time for anything else, I could not say.

The past few days of the past week, I did not study. Maybe a little information here and there, but never the whole thing. I was happy about the results of the practical exam we took before this. I got a 92.5/100. But when I took the written exam the afternoon directly after, I got depressed. Rough total on my written exam score, 24/80 which is far off from the passing -- not even half.

After the test, joy came in food. My friend had his birthday on Wednesday and celebrated today. It was nice. One of the things that'll always make me happy is food. That coming from a large person is really sad, but true. These days, I get the feeling that I may never make it on the steps of 4th year.

Then again, this is how I felt last semester around Midterms time. You never know. >:]

No comments:

Post a Comment