My Own Little Man-Diary: Last Faithful Song Syndrome

Saturday, January 1

Last Faithful Song Syndrome

On the way home from a New Year's day get together with the family, I find myself in the passenger seat of my aunt's car. My aunt, a very religious woman, plays this CD full of songs about praise and worship. I have no particular qualms with that kind of music, but this isn't the first time she's played this today. She plays it every time we go somewhere in her car and I have somewhat memorized some of the tunes and lyrics of the songs. Somehow, I don't remember a time when we're riding in my aunt's car that she doesn't play it.

It gets more evident when we stop for gas and the gas station's rules and regulations tell you that you have to turn off your car during. The CD player is reset and it starts all over again. I don't hate it, but the playing over and over'll get to anyone. No thing repeated over and over again is good for you. Not even grammar get better, OVER and OVER and OVER. See what I mean?

Again, I don't hate it but I don't particularly like the kind of music, either. So does that make me kind of shallow and close-minded? Maybe it does, I don't mind really. And maybe that stems from me being somewhat agnostic. Does my agnosticism and efferent feelings towards Christian/praise music connect? -- I'd say it does, a little.

Back to the main story, somehow all this playing over and over again got to me. I had wanted to abstain on saying anything, but lack of sleep disabled me to. So, I had told my aunt to switch it to radio and so she did, with a hint of annoyance - I heard a faint tsk as she changed it. This was not the first time I had told her to change it. I had done so a few times before but was unsuccessful, until earlier.

I sensed my aunt's mood swing. And what was a holy ride home, turned into figurative silence (The radio played R&B and hip-hop songs). But as the destination grew closer, her moodswing seemed to have faded and had started to talk again. But why change it at all?

Doesn't matter now. All I know is, I won.