My Own Little Man-Diary: The Boundaries of the Human Imagination

Tuesday, March 15

The Boundaries of the Human Imagination

A story. It's what every writer needs. A story in most ways live in the mind of the writer, deeply buried in the thoughts of his own imagination. A writer might have to educate his mind to make up with one.

It's in everything really. The simplest forms of story can be the most beautiful. And there are the more complex ones, driven by the ink the writer's pen flows through. One must be careful in making a fairly complex story. One might end up with too many plot holes. Plot holes are not necessarily bad, nor are they really good. They may vary from being a small or a gaping hole. That may make them either negligible or incomprehensible.

A story, at most times, come from the writer's real-life experiences. It is how they can share their life to the world. A story  may also come from another person's.

I've stated in my previous blog that I wanted to make a good story. So, I find myself here facing my small laptop itching my head for stories. Things have indeed happened in my life, but I cannot face myself to put it down on paper. Rather than basing the story from my own life, I want to make an original story, something more interesting that what I've been through.

But what to write?

I've had a couple of ideas. I get the start, the middle, and the ending. But there's a problem, things in the middle just start to blur. And the story remains unwritten. There were a couple of times that I've actually written a story.

I recall making one for New Year's 2010, I think. I had a little help from my friend Michael (who had just gotten his 2000th view, congratulations buddy!). The story was about seeing light in the darkness. I somewhat drifted off from making the guy stay in the light to making him just experience the light. The light represented the fireworks (the New Year). After seeing that spark for seconds, he was enveloped yet again in darkness. I've made people read it. They didn't understand, or the story just didn't make any sense. See for yourself below.

Another story I had is showcased in my blog. Check it out here. It's my most popular post. And although I am proud of my work, the workings of an amateur are pretty evident. And it kinda drifted from it's original story. I had not really intended to include World War 3, but it seemed appropriate.

Whatever story you have in mind, it will keep changing. That much I know. But would writing a better story with actual content really be possible for me?

Of course, there is no perfect story. One will see it as a masterpiece, and another will see it as a failure. And that's where critics come in. What will the world be without its beloved critics? A story is without its faults, and a critic will surely point that out. But that is what I think is what will make you better at your craft. Although, one would not admit to it right away. Surely, he will realize it somewhere down the road.

Stories that can capture the hearts of both critics and fans alike are rare to make. And I find myself compelled to make one, but not really getting anywhere.

So, motivate my imagination and sprinkle fairy dust into my eyes and let me see the wonders of my subconscious and help me make a story for the ages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People have forgotten how to tell a story. Stories don’t have a middle or an end anymore. They usually have a beginning that never stops beginning.                         
                                                                                                 -Steven Spielberg



*NOTE: The story below would sound much better if New Year were approaching.

I awoke in the dark. I could not find the light.
It was as if the sun, had lost its luster.
Then suddenly, a voice within my being beckoned me.
In an instant, I knew what I had to do.
Gasoline, bombs, and fire, I had to extinguish the darkness.
Then the light blinded me.
In that split second, the darkness was extinguished.
And the world was illuminated by a brilliant sparkle of light. But once again, the darkness swallowed me whole.
I would wait 'till the light shines my way again.
I knew that I was engulfed in the darkness, But it did not matter, all that mattered was the light.
And I fell into a deep slumber with a smile on my face, knowing that the light would come back again someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment