My Own Little Man-Diary: Physical Therapy & Film

Monday, March 14

Physical Therapy & Film

This choice of study has taken its toll on alot of us. I'm not saying that I get special attention because my course is harder than everyone else's. But, it really does. A friend who's always pretty late, even for tests, had a conversation with another friend.

Being snoopy, I asked my friend what they were talking about. And he told me. He said that they were talking about how our course is hard, and why the teachers make it even harder. And I thought to myself, as the teachers say to us, they do this to train us for our board exams. The Physical Therapy board exams is, what I've heard, the second hardest exam, right after the board exam for doctors.

Our board exam is very bookish. And in that way, makes it even harder. We have to know how and what exactly everything is. And one book in our course could range from four hundred pages, to about a thousand or more.

He said that the course was okay for him. And although he wants to finish the course, he says he does not possess the drive to. And he says that I looked determined to, unlike him.

I have known for some time now that the course itself is that hard. And although this is not my passion, I want to finish it. I heard that being a PT pays good. I didn't want to be nurse, and my folks didn't allow me to be a MedTech. So, I chose to become a PT student.

At the time of choosing, from about the start of summer following my high school graduation to the time I got back from the states, I have always wanted to be in the medical field. Getting to help people and all the things connected to the profession was just an added bonus. It seemed better than selling stuff or anything else.

Don't get me wrong, being a PT is something I want to do professionally. It is a great opportunity to help people, be a caregiver. But it's really just back up. What I really want to do is be behind the camera.

This dates back to my fourth year in high school. A group of classmates and I had a project to do that involved filming. Although the rawness of work was quite evident, it could not compare to the others' work. My work had been indeed amateurish, but it garnered us the top score in the batch. It made me proud.

The choice of being in a medical field was a practical one. Being a medical professional, you find a job quickly, and pays well.

The film industry is risky, at best. The Philippine films that come and go in cinemas are at most of the time, corny and clichéd. And I can't fathom any hope for it, unless the Philippine studios  give a little more credit to those independent filmmakers.

Filipino films generally have a target audience. Those are, most of the time, helpers, teenage girls and their boyfriends (who get dragged along), and middle aged women. Filipino TV is worse. They're really just hashed out remakes of whatever popular TV show is being made outside the country. They're still for the same audience. So, most of the time, males and people(anyone really) who watch better movies are left to watch the movies that come from outside, which are better.

So where am I getting at? Long after my graduation, I want to salvage whatever is left in Filipino film. I want to make a film that can make other Filipinos proud. I want to write an excellent story that many people can relate to. I want the story to be original. I want more Indie filmmakers, and Major studios, to make bigger and better films.

I want to be a filmmaker.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When your hobby becomes your profession, the passion becomes your profession. 
                                                                                                                         -- from the "3 Idiots" movie
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment