My Own Little Man-Diary: A Glimpse into the Near Future

Wednesday, March 23

A Glimpse into the Near Future

I had to wake up early today, earlier than normal. Slightly. I woke up today at 5:30 in the morning to attend my sister's graduation at 7:30. Or so, I was told. The event was scheduled at 7:30am, so naturally it started at about 9am.

Like most events in Philippine culture, it started with a mass. During this time, the diplomas and medals were blessed. The commencement exercise proper started right after the mass. The thing was very formal, as do all events like it. The ceremony was boring, 'nuff said. It was a good thing that I had brought my PSP with me.
And no, I did not use it during the mass. Well, not the entire mass.

The mass ended normally, about an hour. After a quick break, the ceremony began. Each college's dean was there. All four of them were to give out the diplomas to each student in their college. The nursing students were majority in the graduating crowd. So they took most of the time in the ceremony. 

The ceremony proceedings were as follows: A Student's name is called, the student walks up on stage and accepts his diploma, and sits back down. This may sound so simple. But the actual presentation took a while. 


Graduating students fashioned themselves in a toga and their matching caps. The cap, or mortarboard, had a piece of string attached to it. I don't know how to actually describe it, but it's attached to the cap at the very center. And at the start of the ceremony, it is hung on the right side. After the graduates get their diploma, someone(I'm not sure who, maybe the President of the school or the respective college) flips the tassel(shown on the left) to the left side. This signifies that the person has accomplished their duties in the school. 

I sat very far from the stage. I was on the far right side. From time to time, I would move to the front to take the occasional picture. Then at some point, I stood behind a teacher of ours, who was also wearing a toga. He was the only teacher there, in the college, that I knew. He is known as one of the pioneering teachers of PT in Velez. And I observed him from a distance, I could not help but wonder what goes through his mind and how many times he's actually been watching the ceremonies.

Naturally, I thought of when I would graduate. If all goes well, I should be graduating in 2013. But things just seem bleak right now. But I would not let things get me down. As of the moment, at least. And when I do graduate, and I will, I'd be sitting down in front of the stage and listening to everyone getting their names called and walking up to the stage to get the diploma. 

As my sister's name was called to get her diploma, I was already as near as I could get. But no matter how good you take pictures, you really have to consider the quality of the camera and lighting, among others. I was a little disappointed though, my shots were very blurry and they just wouldn't look right. Oh well. There were these professional photographers there with their awesome cameras. 

Finally at about 12 noon, the ceremony ended and we proceeded to celebrate. About almost a decade, my sister has finally graduated from college. So congratulations to my sister, Kardz Ricarte. (no, not her real given name.)

 Soon, it will be my turn. Very soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment